Au pairs

Photo - Child holding rabbit

The term "Au Pair" means "on par" or an equal and in order to build up and have a happy Au Pair he or she should be treated like a member of your family.  Bunnies Nanny Agency Limited have been supplying Au Pairs to families in Brighton and the surrounding areas since 1994.  Au Pairs generally come from within the EU (please ask us if you require further information but if your Au Pair is an EU or EFTA citizen they can enter with a valid passport/identity card). Au Pairs come to England to live with a family in order to learn the language and culture and can be male or female.  Au Pairs are usually aged between 18 and 27 and are an excellent choice for those families with older children who are at school most of the day.  Families with very young children also find them extremely helpful as an extra pair of hands at bathtimes and mealtimes and helping with light housework.  Their duties can include the school run, preparing the tea for the children, putting them to bed etc. Please note your Au Pair is not a domestic servant and should only be doing light housework.

It must be noted that Au Pairs/Au Pair Plus are not allowed to have sole charge of any baby aged 2 or under.

Whether you require a long term Au Pair (one who wishes to stay between 6 and 12 months) or your requirement is for a short term Au Pair (3 months or perhaps less) we are happy to help you.  

Your Au Pair will pay for her own travel to and from England although you will be required to meet her at her destination ie airport, train station, port. Your Au Pair must be given her own room (and bathroom ideally but should be happy to share a bathroom with the children) and be paid approx £75-80 per week and receive full board (this payment is called "pocket money").  He/she is expected to work 25 hours a week (normally 5 hours a day) and have two full days off.  Your Au Pair is required to do two evenings of babysitting per week.  Occasionally the Au Pair may like to go out on a Saturday and therefore flexibility and consideration on both sides makes for a happy home. Your Au Pair must be allowed to attend English classes (he or she will pay their college fees) typically twice a week for two hours.  We will be happy to advise your Au Pair of suitable language schools and prices etc.

Your Au Pair is entitled to 28 days paid holiday per annum.  It is wise to discuss any pre-existing holiday arrangements your Au Pair may have made before she comes to the UK to avoid any confusion later. 

Au Pair Plus

Only EU citizens can work as an Au Pair Plus.  He/she has exactly the same role as an Au Pair but is expected to work up to 35 hours a week and is paid between £85-100 a week.  An Au Pair Plus must have two full days off a week.  An Au Pair Plus can be asked to do up to two evenings of babysitting a week (Monday to Friday) and occasionally on Saturdays.

If it is the case that you do not have children but would like to employ an Au Pair to look after your garden or any pets then we advise you to employ a male Au Pair.

Please note if you are not happy with your Au Pair under our Agency terms and conditions you are required to give us two weeks notice and the Au Pair two weeks notice.

Finally, if you are requiring an Au Pair or you are an Au Pair looking for work please do not hesitate to contact Elaine on 01273 505001 or  01444 420128.

A note about Tax

We regularly get asked by clients about matters relating to tax, national insurance contributions and the minimum wage.  We are not tax advisers and recommend you speak to HMRC regarding these issues but generally speaking if you treat your au pair as outlined above ie a young person in this country on a cultural exchange and do not pay them excessive pocket money they should be exempt from regulations relating to tax, minimum wage, ni contributions etc




Web design - Sparticle